home favorite recipes about contact

Snickers Cupcakes

Easily one of the best cupcake recipes I've come across, these chocolate cupcakes have middles that are filled with bits of snickers covered in homemade caramel sauce. What, did your teeth just tell you to stay away from these? You may want to make a dentist appointment after eating them, but they're amazing and will charm the pants off of your everyone at your party when you bring them out!

Chocolate Dump Cake

It may not have the prettiest title, but this chocolate cake is so easy that you'll actually volunteer to bring it to family functions. No kidding! With a shockingly low amount of ingredients, this chocolate cake spans seasons. Need a quick dessert for dinner? Dump cake. Need to bring a cake into work when you don't care enough to bake something for people you don't even like? Dump cake.

Red Velvet Cupcakes + Cream Cheese Icing

You only turn 26 once, and when you do you should celebrate with Red Velvet! These cupcakes come with a long line of recommendations and will not disappoint. Scouts honor.

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Peanut Butter is My Crack

There's that old saying that there are a few things in life we can be absolutely sure of. I'm pretty sure the examples are friends, and family, and that the sun will come up in the East, etc. Those things are all lame. The one thing you can absolutely, always be sure of? Peanut butter tastes good all the time. Peanut butter all day, every day. If there was a chance we could vote peanut butter into office it would be a good idea if we all put our contrasting jelly ideas aside and elect it a winner. This is how serious I am. 

Last night I had a little free time and decided around 8PM that I was going to make these cookies I found on Pinterest. I was short one very key ingredient, chocolate chips, so after a short pilgrimage to Giant and a conversation with a man who couldn't decide on the best kind of frozen pizza (Red Baron! Because it's not delivery it's DiGiorno is for rich people eating dinner in their hot air balloons) I was able to come home and crank out these cookies. 

Let me preference all of this by saying that I'm an exaggerator, a liar, a stretcher of truths. I saw a bug the other day that had roughly 6 million legs. No lie. But when I say that this is probably the best cookie I've ever tasted, I'm pretty sure I'm telling you the truth. I know that I've told stupid lies to the mailman, and the hostesses at restaurants, and probably to you- but this is the best cookie ever. As my sister might say, this cookie is a sign we all might need to reevaluate our life choices.  She's big into signs and omens, but that's mostly concerning haircuts.

I immediately pinned these cookies because they are meant to be chewy, and supposedly puffier cookies. I'm a pretty big proponent of the flat chocolate chip cookie (not always by choice though) so these were intriguing. I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to hold up my end of the puffy bargain, but I think I got pretty close. To break it down, these cookies are a breeze to make, leave your kitchen smelling like Hershey Park, and (as we've already covered) the country's top choice in the 2012 election. 

So without further ado, 
Puffy Peanut Butter Cookies with Chocolate Chips
by: How Sweet It Is
link: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2011/08/puffy-peanut-butter-cookies-with-chocolate-chips/

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
8 tablespoons (one stick) salted butter, melted and cooled
6 tablespoons creamy peanut butter, melted and cooled
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, room temp
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter and peanut butter together. For best results, heat in 30 second increments until fully melted. Let mixture cool completely. (If the mixture is still warm when you use it later, it will melt the chocolate chips).


2. Mix the flour and baking soda together and put aside. Hope that your mixture is cool enough to continue baking, otherwise sit down and have a glass of milk in preparation.

3. When the mixture is cool, mix the butter/pb mix with the sugars until well combined. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and stir until everything is mixed together nicely. Gradually add the flour mix. The dough might become a little tough to maneuver - at this point I was using my hands to work the dough. When the flour is fully mixed in, fold in the chocolate chips.



4. Roll the dough into the size of golf balls and place 2 inches apart. The hope is that the cookies will bake up, and not out - allowing you to put more on the cookie sheet. Bake 10-12 minutes or until the edges are slightly brown. The centers of the cookies should be soft and SHOULD be puffy. When I pulled mine out after 11 minutes I wasn't sure if they were cooked all the way, so it can be deceiving. Any more time than that and they would have come out burnt. 



So that's it, I told you they were easy. 



In the interest of full disclosure, I have to mention that my cookies are way darker than the recipe I used. In my hasty decision to bake cookies at 8 at night, I decided it would be alright to use half light brown sugar, and half dark since the recipe didn't really specify. If you're looking for a lighter cookie, maybe dark brown sugar isn't your best bet. 

I can't recommend these cookies enough, if you're reading this at work you should definitely stop at your local grocery store (staying away from the crazies in the frozen pizza aisle) to pick up these ingredients. 

Source: How Sweet It Is

1 comments:

Hilarious!! and yes, these cookies seem like a sign I need to make my way to Emmaus ;)

Post a Comment