home favorite recipes about contact

Snickers Cupcakes

Easily one of the best cupcake recipes I've come across, these chocolate cupcakes have middles that are filled with bits of snickers covered in homemade caramel sauce. What, did your teeth just tell you to stay away from these? You may want to make a dentist appointment after eating them, but they're amazing and will charm the pants off of your everyone at your party when you bring them out!

Chocolate Dump Cake

It may not have the prettiest title, but this chocolate cake is so easy that you'll actually volunteer to bring it to family functions. No kidding! With a shockingly low amount of ingredients, this chocolate cake spans seasons. Need a quick dessert for dinner? Dump cake. Need to bring a cake into work when you don't care enough to bake something for people you don't even like? Dump cake.

Red Velvet Cupcakes + Cream Cheese Icing

You only turn 26 once, and when you do you should celebrate with Red Velvet! These cupcakes come with a long line of recommendations and will not disappoint. Scouts honor.

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Amish Caramel Corn

Wow. I can not watch Dancing with the Stars and concentrate on writing this blog. It's too difficult! The shiny costumes...the mediocre dancing...it's all too much.

It took me awhile to figure out what to post this week, but I decided on a sweet recipe for caramel popcorn. I made it and gave it away for Christmas last year, but made it again last week because I had some extra time on my hands (and I was trying to get rid of the ridiculous amount of plain popcorn I had in the cupboards) Seriously, who bought that much plain popcorn?

Anyway, I give out cookies every year for Christmas because I'm cheap thrifty and before it was time to start all the baking my mom told me about this recipe. In my memory she kept going on and on about her Amish friend and her great recipe for caramel popcorn. Which made me ask her repeatedly who she knew that was Amish, and if she ever stayed with them or if they were the ones who made our fireplace. In reality, I'm sure she was rationally telling me about the recipe and how her friend (who was not Amish) gave her this recipe which was called "My Amish Friend's Caramel Corn".


This recipe is a few things. A. It's time consuming. B. It's awesome. C. It's sticky. 4. It'll go fast.

I'm posting the recipe below, but I encourage you to take a look at the link so you can read the comments. I don't think I've ever seen so many 5 star reviews. But maybe it's the Amish girl's friend just trying to make her feel better about her popcorn recipe.

My Amish Friend's Caramel Corn (I just wanted to say Amish once more)
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/my-amish-friends-caramel-corn/detail.aspx

Ingredients:
7 Quarts plain popped corn (I used 3 bags worth)
2 cups dry roasted peanuts (If you enjoy peanuts. I used them and would recommend them for sure)
2 cups brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup margarine
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Place the popped corn into 2 greased, baking pans. If you're adding peanuts, add them now. Set aside.

2. Preheat oven to 250. Combine the brown sugar, corn syrup, margarine and salt in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, over medium heat, stirring to blend. Once the mix starts to boil, boil for 5 more minutes stirring constantly.

3. Remove from heat and stir in the baking soda and vanilla. It's going to look foamy. Immediately pour over the popcorn and stir to coat all of the popcorn.

4. Bake for one hour total. Every 15 minutes remove the pans and stir up the popcorn to cover all of it. Line a flat surface (in my case, the entire dining room table) with waxed paper. Dump the corn out and separate into smaller pieces. Let it cool, or eat it all when it's warm because it's awesome that way.


I'm not kidding when I say it took up the majority of my dining room table. 


So friends, take this recipe and put it in your Christmas bank. I have yet to hear anything negative about this popcorn. And even if I did, I wouldn't tell my mom's Amish friend. She's sensitive.


Source: Allrecipes.com

1 comments:

hahahaha these posts crack me up every time! and it's gluten free! :)

Post a Comment