home favorite recipes about contact

Snickers Cupcakes

Easily one of the best cupcake recipes I've come across, these chocolate cupcakes have middles that are filled with bits of snickers covered in homemade caramel sauce. What, did your teeth just tell you to stay away from these? You may want to make a dentist appointment after eating them, but they're amazing and will charm the pants off of your everyone at your party when you bring them out!

Chocolate Dump Cake

It may not have the prettiest title, but this chocolate cake is so easy that you'll actually volunteer to bring it to family functions. No kidding! With a shockingly low amount of ingredients, this chocolate cake spans seasons. Need a quick dessert for dinner? Dump cake. Need to bring a cake into work when you don't care enough to bake something for people you don't even like? Dump cake.

Red Velvet Cupcakes + Cream Cheese Icing

You only turn 26 once, and when you do you should celebrate with Red Velvet! These cupcakes come with a long line of recommendations and will not disappoint. Scouts honor.

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Make Crepes at Home!

For four years I lived in North Philadelphia, dredging up and down Broad Street pretending like I was totally comfortable living in the city. We all know (or I think we can all assume) that I am not the most subtle person you've ever met, so trying to act cool and urbany was just not my style. I always came up out of the subway stairs ready to roundhouse somebody. I paid for that Vera Bradley bag myself mister, keep your hands off.


When you move from rural to urban everyone wants to sit you down and tell you about the dangers of society. This is fairly warranted, but the drama that people pump into it is far more scary than anything you'll probably see on campus. When I went to orientation at Temple they told us not to wear lanyards with our keys around our necks because people would come up from behind and choke us. The more they talked, the more I couldn't help but wonder why I had chosen a school that had so many stranglers on campus. 

Keys were better left in your pocket, or better yet - your largest key was better left in ready position in your right hand so you could stab someone quick if you had to. 

That was how I learned to adjust to Philly. And as you can probably imagine, it was a rough adjustment.

I wanted to move to a city, and I wanted to be on Temple's campus in the beginning. I told people that I knew that went to school in country areas that I was prepared for being mugged, but really I just suspected all people and tried to carry all of my important items in different pockets. I would show up to the cafeteria freshman year and have to check every pocket on my person to find my ID. It wasn't pretty, but it was my way of buying time and keeping my bank card (my first ever atm card) incase I was accosted. Clearly, I was a lunatic.

The one thing that people never warned me about before going to campus was eating out of a truck that was parked on the sidewalk. I remember the first time Ben brought back food from a truck. I was confused, how do they make food in it? Why would you eat food made in a vehicle when we have two cafeterias? Little did I know, and it would take me a while to understand, but the food that was coming out of one particular truck was better than anything in a 15 mile radius.

It was the crepe truck.

This magical truck was parked near the Communications school, and for two whole years I never ate there. I broke junior year and got a buffalo chicken crepe. Every since then we've been obsessed with eating there, even though we graduated four years ago. Every once and a while we drive back to eat at the crepe truck, completely skipping over the nostalgic parts of the campus. Each time we go back the campus looks different, but the buffalo chicken crepe is always the same.

By the time we're all home from work the crepe truck has usually gone home for the night, so it's been some time since our last trip. To make up for it I ordered myself a cheap crepe pan and starting making them myself. If you've sat through my ridiculous antidote this long, you deserve this super easy recipe for crepes:

Basic Crepes 
Serves 4

Ingredients
1 cup all purpose flour
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup water
1/4 teaspon salt
2 tablespoons melted butter

Directions
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and the eggs. Gradually add in the milk and water, stirring to combine. Add the salt and butter; belt until smooth.

2. Heat a lightly oiled frying pan (or crepe pan!) over medium high heat. Pour or scoop the batter onto the pan, using approximately 1/4 cup for each crepe. Tilt the pan with a circular motion so that the batter coats the surface evenly.

3. Cook the crepe for about 2 minutes, until the bottom is light brown. Loosen with a spatula, turn and cook the other side. Serve hot. 


In order to celebrate a happy event in Kevin's life, which is not a baby so don't even ask, I made strawberry banana crepes with nutella!





My crepes look more like burritos, but whatever.


The inside view!



I'd highly suggest you make these. They're easy and the crepes taste just like the real deal. Not the crepe truck real deal, but good enough for the interim.


Source: Allrecipes.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment