home favorite recipes about contact

Snickers Cupcakes

Easily one of the best cupcake recipes I've come across, these chocolate cupcakes have middles that are filled with bits of snickers covered in homemade caramel sauce. What, did your teeth just tell you to stay away from these? You may want to make a dentist appointment after eating them, but they're amazing and will charm the pants off of your everyone at your party when you bring them out!

Chocolate Dump Cake

It may not have the prettiest title, but this chocolate cake is so easy that you'll actually volunteer to bring it to family functions. No kidding! With a shockingly low amount of ingredients, this chocolate cake spans seasons. Need a quick dessert for dinner? Dump cake. Need to bring a cake into work when you don't care enough to bake something for people you don't even like? Dump cake.

Red Velvet Cupcakes + Cream Cheese Icing

You only turn 26 once, and when you do you should celebrate with Red Velvet! These cupcakes come with a long line of recommendations and will not disappoint. Scouts honor.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Bite Size Apple Pies

I've been a little lax on my posting lately, I can't seem to get back on my old schedule and when I want to write about something I forget what I want to write about immediately. Pretty soon I'm going to turn into the lady I met at Goodwill yesterday- buying memo boards to keep all of my notes to myself in one place. Just, without the purple lipstick. And hopefully without the velour jumpsuit.

It's amazing how moving turns your life into a whirling dervish of boxes and packing tape and shitty attitudes. You start going through drawers that you haven't looked in for months, and you find things that you obviously can't throw away. We only spent three years in our Philly house, but somehow we had amassed a TLC show's amount of stuff. When people would offer us things, we'd just say yes. Of course we'll take your camera equipment from the 40s. You have a coffee maker that may or may not still work? We have a basement, we'll put it down there. I tried to be crafty and keep things in totes, but the only thing I ever really accomplished was putting the christmas decorations in a red and green tote, and the halloween ones in a black and orange one. That's organization at it's finest, if we can be honest here.

I'm not saying American Pickers would have had fun going through our stuff, but I think they would be impressed that we managed to keep it all in one house and relatively unscathed. 

So now that we're in our new place, (where there is no catchall basement, eek) we've had to downsize a little and throw away everything we could fit in a trash bag. It's beautiful here. The kitchen is HUGE and amazing. At night you can see stars instead of a red city fog. I've seen wildlife, my dog has chased a rabbit large enough to technically be a dog, and it's quiet. Well, except for the train that goes through town, but nowhere is perfect and we've been living by trains for so long that we can't even here them.

Ever since we settled in I've been trying to think of something that would make for an excellent first dish in the new amazing kitchen. Nothing seemed good enough. For some reason Kevin's brought up pie almost every day since we moved in and sometimes for no apparent reason. There were a few times when I'd ask him what he wanted to eat for dinner and he would say "pie". He would find ways to interject pie in the conversation, this kid just wanted to eat pie.

So today I christened the kitchen with good ole American bite size apple pies.

Yes, bite size.

These little guys were a breeze to make and taste delicous. Thanks to the frozen pie crust that I bought earlier in the day, (yeah I didn't make my own crust this time), I was able to just roll them out and practically put them straight into the oven. A short 15 minutes later, and my kitchen smelled like a Yankee Candle. 

So for those of you who always tell me that you don't have time to make pie, go to the local library, print this out, and put it into your recipe box for safe keeping. These might not be Thanksgiving caliber, but they'll do. 

Bite-Size Apple Pies

Ingredients
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 package (14.1 oz) refrigerated pie pastry
3 tablespoons melted butter, divided
2 medium tart apples, each apple cut into 8 wedges

Instructions

1. In a small bowl combine the sugar and cinnamon, set aside 1 tablespoon for later. On a lightly floured surface unroll the pie crusts. Brush each with the 2 tablespoons of butter, sprinkle the 1 tablespoon of sugar mixture over the pie crust.


2. Cut each sheet into 8, one inch strips. Wrap one strip around each apple wedge, making sure the sugar side of the pastry is against the apple.



3. Place the wraps on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Brush tops with remaining butter and sprinkle the sugar mixture on each roll. Bake at 425 for 13-15 minutes (mine was a little bit longer) or until the pastry is golden brown. 
Some of you crazy NJ people
probably see pigs in a blanket!
Serve warm and probably with ice cream. 





Worth the wait right?



Source: Taste of Home Magazine

1 comments:

we made these with caramel sauce on top. yummmmm

Post a Comment