home favorite recipes about contact

Snickers Cupcakes

Easily one of the best cupcake recipes I've come across, these chocolate cupcakes have middles that are filled with bits of snickers covered in homemade caramel sauce. What, did your teeth just tell you to stay away from these? You may want to make a dentist appointment after eating them, but they're amazing and will charm the pants off of your everyone at your party when you bring them out!

Chocolate Dump Cake

It may not have the prettiest title, but this chocolate cake is so easy that you'll actually volunteer to bring it to family functions. No kidding! With a shockingly low amount of ingredients, this chocolate cake spans seasons. Need a quick dessert for dinner? Dump cake. Need to bring a cake into work when you don't care enough to bake something for people you don't even like? Dump cake.

Red Velvet Cupcakes + Cream Cheese Icing

You only turn 26 once, and when you do you should celebrate with Red Velvet! These cupcakes come with a long line of recommendations and will not disappoint. Scouts honor.

Thursday, February 28, 2013

My White Whale

Admittedly, I've been away from this blog for some time. There's two reasons. Well, maybe three.

Reason 1: I've started a new semester where I'm taking two separate literature classes, with a massive amount of reading each week. Because of this, I'm only fitting baking in when guests come over or when I scan through Pinterest and see something that screams "You can actually do this!" or "This only has two ingredients!" 

Reason 2: I've actually started a second blog. Gasp! It's true. Now you can also read my mediocre musings at www.sleepstanding.com. This new blog is about my sleep walking/sleep talking adventures, and about how I'm (mis)handling them. Personally, I think it's pretty great and you'll love it. Since it's so new I've had to take the time to cultivate it a little, build it up so that people might actually like it. I don't have to do that with YIBT anymore, this thing just writes and reads itself! So do me a favor and check out www.sleepstanding.com, I'm also on twitter @sleepstander.

Reason 3: I've been trying to catch my white whale.


For about 400 years I've been trying to make a correct rice krispie treat. You know this, I talk about it all the time. The failed krispie pops, the pretty-much-a-failure-but-still-delicious-hearts, or my recent disasterpiece with chex (why did I think it would be easier with chex?) Some people just have these white whales that they can't ever catch, and they watch from the ship as everyone else and their grandmother can churn out rice krispie treats with their eyes closed. So when I tried it again, because I keep trying because I'm an idiot, I actually stumbled upon the correct way to do it.

The secret is in the microwave.

I know some people (I always assume that a lot of angry (possibly breastfeeding or super against breastfeeding) moms are reading this blog like they read and hate everything on the internet) are going to say, microwaves are horrible for you! They literally pump chemical rays into your foods! You're so full of toxins! Your aura is brown!

But you'll keep your cell phone in your pocket right? As my dad would say, you're pumping the internet through your own heart muscle. You're your own personal wifi.

So shut up! Is basically what I'm saying you hypothetical, criticizing moms.

All my life, and possibly the one before it, I've tried and tried and tried to make rice krispie treats on the stove. I was setting myself up for failure. I would burn the butter a little too much, or put in too many rice krispies, or I would end up doubling the marshmallows just to make something that was actually edible. And that's not right, that's not how you should bake things.

So on my latest try I broke down and bought the real Kraft marshmallows, and used the recipe on the back. It's so simple! Melt the butter in the microwave, melt the marshmallows, add the cereal.

These weren't mine, but they could have been!
These rice krispie treats were perfect. They looked, smelled, and tasted exactly like they should. It was a miracle. A beautiful kitchen miracle.

I've been wanting to post other things lately, I have a few cookie recipes up my sleeve for a later date, but I wanted you all to know that I did it. Finally.

As for my white whale? I set it free. I've caught it once I think I might actually be able to do it again.


Source: Kraft!
Link: http://www.ricekrispies.com/en_US/recipes/the-original-treats.html#/en_US/recipes/the-original-treats

1 comments:

Now that you've defeated the white whale perhaps you should try a coco-puff/peanut-butter challenge.
Bring to a boil
1 c sugar
1 1/4 c Karo syrup
Add 1 1/4 c peanut butter, stir until smooth

Pour over and/or fold in 6-7 cups cocoa puffs cereal and 1 c peanuts(optional)

Press into sprayed 9X13 pan. Let set.
Sounds too simple to be so good, but mmm they are yummy!

Post a Comment